My friend started an email chain this week. I know what you’re saying – ack! Who has time for those things?
Well, she sent this email to our crew of eight mamas. The eight of us met for the very first time about three years ago in a new mom’s support group in our Upper West Side neighborhood of New York City. We were like a group of deer in headlights as we navigated through the ups and downs of first-time motherhood. This group became my momtourage, my inner circle on all things parenting.
All but two of our crew has since moved out of NYC, but we’re still close and get together as much as we can. We use email a lot to maintain our connection between our in-person gatherings.
Now normally, I don’t make the time to answer these types of chain emails. It’s hard enough time staying on top of the mountain of email that tends to accumulate in my inbox! But this time I did (we all did, in fact). How amazing it was to get to know these gals on a deeper level than our modern day friendships often give us the chance to know people. I learned things about each of them that I didn’t yet know. That’s so freakin’ cool.
Lesson learned? Be open to experimentation … especially when it can bring you closer to someone or a group of people you care about.
Here are my responses to the questions. Take a peek and feel free to send these questions around to your inner circle of pals. Get to know each other on a more intimate level. Your friendship will be better for it …
1. What is your occupation? A gal who just interviewed me for her radio show called me a “Goddess Gatherer and Spirited Leader.” I’ll take it!
2. What are you listening to right now? My zen water fountain and a totally quiet house … ahhhhh.
3. What was the last thing you ate? A piece of candy I bought to put in the Advent calendar for Sean. I ate most of the candies before they went into the calendar. Oops.
4. Do you wish on stars? No, but I do look at them in amazement at how big and grand this universe is. I like wishing at wishing wells … and giving Sean coins to throw in the water, too.
5. Favorite vacation? Asian adventure with Steven right before I quit my last corporate job (summer of 2007). Went to China and Japan for a month and left no stone unturned. Still laughing at how we pulled that off. The movie “Lost in Translation” was my inspiration to take that trip … that and knowing that the adventure would be really hard to take after we had kids.
6. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Sparkle.
7. How is the weather right now? Chilly, but not freezing. I’m not complaining. I can be outside and not be in pain (how did this Florida girl end up in the Northeast?!).
8. Last person you spoke to on the phone? One of my kick-ass clients in NYC. She called me from the Wall Street area and I could literally feel the energy of the city pulsing through the phone.
9. Do you like the person who sent this to you? Yup.
10. How old are you today? 34. Still feel like an inner 18-year-old, but am really glad I’m exactly where I am.
11. Favorite drink? Chai latte … and water.
12. Favorite sport to watch? College basketball during March Madness. Nothing like it!
13. Have you ever dyed your hair? Highlights all the way, baby.
14. Do you wear contacts or glasses? Glasses for seeing really far away.
15. Pets? Nothing makes a house cozier than cats 🙂 Two of them now – Cricket and Jezzy. Lost my angel Cali a few weeks ago. My heart still hurts.
16. Favorite month? January. Fresh start to the year. Full of possibilities. And Sean’s birthday is January 5.
17. Favorite food? Brussels sprouts. Seriously. Recently discovered them and am obsessed. Saute those babies with some garlic and soy sauce and you’ll be sitting pretty.
18. What was the last movie you watched? “Spirit,” an animated film about a horse, with Sean and Luke. Amazing!
19. Favorite day of the year? My birthday. Fun having all that energy directed at me and my pleasure.
20. What do you do to vent anger? Start fights with Steven for unrelated infractions … and then go to yoga and write.
21. What was your favorite toy as a child? Books! Does that count?
22. Fall or Spring? Spring in the South; Fall in the North.
23. Hugs or kisses? Both.
24. Cherry or Blueberry? Cherry.
25. Do you want your friends to e-mail you back? Since I’m almost the last one to do this thing, I’ll be psyched if K rounds out the crew.
26. Who is most likely to respond? Me?! Ha … had you all fooled!
27. Who is least likely to respond? Would have said J, but she proved us all wrong. Nicely done.
28. Living arrangements? House in the “cultured country” of the Berkshires. Love it. Though still getting used to taking care of a house! Big responsibility.
29. When was the last time you cried? When my cat Cali passed on a few weeks ago. One of the toughest things I’ve experienced in a long time was watching him get sick and go through the dying process. I miss the furry angel. He understood me better more than most humans.
30. What is on the floor of your closet? Our shoes, lined up and nicely organized. Yes, I’m OCD. We also have a blue furry cat bed that Cali used to sleep in … and now Cricket has taken over.
31. Who is the friend you have had the longest? Taryn. We’ve been close buddies since 6th grade.
32. What did you do last night? Host a teleclass with an organizer friend about getting rid of clutter in your life.
33. Biggest regret? Not spending more time with my younger sister Julie when she was sick. Didn’t realize she was going to die until a few days before she passed on from cancer.
34. What inspires you? A spiritual path … and teaching my kids that they can create any life they choose.
35. What are you afraid of? Living a mediocre, unexamined life.
36. Plain, cheese or spicy hamburgers? Not a hamburger gal. I do like hot dogs though … with sauerkraut and French’s mustard. Yum.
37. Favorite car? I’m digging my SUV, but do dream of having a really fun convertible one day (with no car seats!).
38. Favorite dog breed? Not a dog person and don’t know breeds. I think they are cute, though. Just not the kinds that jump on me.
39. Number of keys on your key ring? No clue. I only use my car key, which is more of a key fob than a key key … it’s cool. Sean already knows how to put it in the car … scary!
40. How many years at your current job? 4 years as an entrepreneur and pretty sure that I could never go back to having a J-O-B.
41. Favorite day of the week? Monday. Love the start of the new week. My fave yoga class is that night. Close second is Tuesday because it’s our family day and we tend to have a lot of fun going to library storytime and one of our fave cafes in Lenox.
42. How many states have you lived in? 4 – Florida, Georgia, New York, Massachusetts.
43. How many cities have you lived in? 6 – St. Petersburg, FL; Marietta, GA; New Smyrna Beach, FL; Gainesville, FL; New York, NY; Great Barrington, MA.
45. First record you bought? I distinctly remember playing this song “One Lover at a Time” in 5th grade. No clue who sang it.
Enjoy getting to know your peeps on a much deeper level … what are you waiting for?
And … if you’re a mama, I invite you to reclaim yourself in the chaos of modern motherhood through the Inner Mama Mastery Program. This home-study course will transform your relationship with your family, self and world. Say goodbye to the blahs and crazies. Until Friday, December 23, you can save a whopping 50% off! This is the absolute best holiday gift you can give yourself – hands down. Cruise over here and use the code – HOLIDAY50 – to cash in on a new, better, calmer, more kick-a** you.