So, I’m finally doing this. What am I doing? Getting the FOUNDATION of my business strengthened (I’m also doing this in my personal life – it’s fascinating how all the elements connect.)
In the business, this translates into cleaning up our lists and campaigns and overall database (there was some majorly outdated stuff in there – digital clutter).
I’ll be honest with you – this stuff doesn’t come naturally to me. I’m a CREATOR / VISIONARY. I’d rather the “less creative” business elements take care of themselves. But that simply doesn’t happen without a plan and a team.
Enter: a new team and a new plan
Earlier this year a new Virtual Assistant joined my team, and along with her I got access to an Infusionsoft Certified Consultant (essentially an expert in the customer relationship management tool we use in our business) to help us with the backend elements of the business.
We’ve been diving deep together! Tightening up operations. Making moves I’ve wanted to make for YEARS (but haven’t gotten around to).
And something I’m really excited about is our new WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY EMAIL.
This is part of what’s called a NURTURE SEQUENCE. New subscribers to my email list will receive this email when they opt-in for something. I want to NURTURE the relationship with my people so you stick around and learn from me. This work means so much to me. You mean so much to me.
I want to share the email with you today for 2 reasons.
- To help us connect more deeply
- To give you an idea of what YOU can do in your business
Before I share it with you, heads-up that I’m opening up tickets for a SOUL OF SERVICE online event on September 14 I’m hosting featuring the one-and-only Danielle LaPorte. Yes, I said DANIELLE LAPORTE. You’ll want to come. And I’m going to make it really easy for you to say YES.
So keep your eyes peeled because early-bird tickets go on sale THIS week. We are diving into critical topics like:
- Conscious Optimism: we’re all asking, “What can I do in my own way to help a hurting world?”
- Using your voice, your money, your Soul to bring on the light
We are living in very CHARGED times. We are seeing so much injustice and inequality and bullshit (like what happened in Charlottesville over the weekend). And what are we to do?
OUR SACRED WORK.
Speak up more. Listen more. Love deeply. Look inward. Know that what’s happening is leading us to where we need to go (this is painful, yet necessary).
You’ll be hearing me talking about this more than ever … and certainly the event with Danielle LaPorte will bring this to an entirely new level.
Okay … back to my brand-new NURTURE email. Enjoy + thanks for being here.
I believe in what you’re doing. I believe in who you are.
Subject: welcome to the community
It’s Jenny here, sending you this note to welcome you to our community.
I’ve been cultivating this tribe since 2009. I’ll never forget sending my first email newsletter to my 100-person list in July of 2009. I was so excited – and a tad scared to push that “send” button too.
Since then, our community has grown to more than 10,000 gutsy leaders of wisdom. These women (and a few good men!) are the most amazing souls in the universe.
And although our tribe numbers in the thousands, every person here matters. So thanks from the bottom of my heart for being here.
I want you to know my business is not about volume. It’s about depth and clarity of mission.
If you are a spirit-led coach, creative, consultant or healer, this is the sacred spot for you.
At our core, we are a community of spiritual teachers and messengers changing the world through our mission-driven businesses. Our businesses are powered by a potent combination of our personalities, our faith, and the magic of technology which connects us to our people all over the planet.
There truly is no limit to how far you can go and who you can help no matter if you’re doing business at your kitchen table or your swanky office.
Take me for example …
I started my coaching business in my spare bedroom of my New York City high-rise apartment in 2008. Once my beautiful son Sean was born the next year, my office became my baby’s room. I had to move my startup operation to the master bedroom I shared with my husband Steven. So I bought an armoire desk and stuck it in the corner of the bedroom (where it barely fit!). I’d do my coaching calls and writing from this desk and then close it up when I was done for the day. It wasn’t an ideal setup, but it worked.
As I was growing deeper roots into motherhood, entrepreneurship and coaching, I knew my growth would be stifled in this space … so we made the decision to move out of the city.
As soon as we made the decision, I got pregnant with my son Luke. I was thrilled! I wanted to have my first 2 children close in age (they are 27 months apart) – mission accomplished.
After 11 years living in NYC — I started my corporate career there before realizing my gifts are better suited to all I’m doing and being now — Steven, Sean, baby in my belly, and I moved to the beautiful Berkshires of Massachusetts.
This gem of a spot was where Steven and I got married in 2005 and the spot we had been coming for years since my in-laws owned a vacation home there.
Every time I was in the Berkshires, my soul felt like it was home. It’s not the city. It’s not the suburbs. I call it the “cultured country.” I adore it.
I’m a Southern girl at my roots – raised in Florida and Georgia – but the Northeast has done wonders for me and has given me wings.
As I hunkered down in my new home, I started seeing visions of bringing women to the area for transformational retreats to complement the private and group coaching work I was doing with clients. I couldn’t get this vision out of my head, which is when I know it’s meant to be brought to life.
I’ve now led more than 10 retreats in powerful spots in Massachusetts, New York, Florida, Costa Rica, and Mexico … with more on the way.
I’ve launched and led programs, courses, and masterminds. I’ve written a book called Get Gutsy that took me 4 years from idea to finished product. And I publish a weekly podcast of the same name where we feature conversations with gutsy leaders of wisdom (mostly coaches and spirit-led entrepreneurs).
What I want you to know: I’ve been able to do this while being a wife and mother to my 3 children – yes, I had another child a few years ago. I got my girl! Her name is Kate and she is such a little powerhouse. She loves all things sparkly.
We don’t have family the area so Steven and I work together to nurture our family while I grow this business that means so much to me … and Steven does his work as a sports television producer. We “tag team” often and are also super grateful to our kids’ babysitter who helps us out a few days a week.
My latest role? Homeschooling mama! Yes, I’m so grateful to have designed the business intentionally so that when it became clear that homeschooling our sons was the best approach for them right now, we could do it. And we could send our daughter Kate to a fantastic school with a magical early childhood program that’s ideal for her.
Why do I share this with you? I want you to see that I’m a regular person just like you. I have decisions to make, children to raise, a partner to love, bills to pay, clients to help, a body to care for, and a soul to nourish.
I’ve also been consistent and disciplined in growing my business since 2008. This isn’t a hobby. This is a calling.
My journey from Square 1 to a multiple-six-figure business has been filled with twists, turns and many late nights.
I’ve launched more programs than I can count and have the battle scars to prove it – ha! I’ve learned what works, what doesn’t … and what’s truly worth my time.
While my journey is different than yours, one of my superpowers is guiding you – through a mix of spirit and strategy – to go inward to find your own answers to what’s worth your time. Because time is the greatest gift in the world – even greater than money. Time is linked to choice and freedom.
Ask any person who is dying (yes, we’re going there) … most would tell you they wish they had more time for the things that truly matter.
I learned this lesson from my 12-year-old sister Julie when she died of brain cancer when I was 16. Living free is the greatest gift.
How can you live free? By cashing in on your calling™.
You have a call that has been placed on your soul, a grand assignment, a mission to fulfill. When you connect your calling to a hungry tribe eager to learn from you and be helped by you … wow. You’ve hit the bullseye. That’s where I come in.
Each week, I publish my podcast Get Gutsy. We feature guests – coaches, creatives + spirit-led entrepreneurs – with powerful stories + tips to help you move your mission forward.
If you don’t yet subscribe, now’s the time! You can find the show on Apple Music, Stitcher or Google Play. You can also find all of our episodes here.
(Our most popular episode is called India, Sobriety and Turning 40. You can find it here.)
I send emails to my list every week. In these emails I might talk about our latest episode and other powerful offerings you may dig. I share blog posts and my thoughts.
I ask provocative questions and ask for your response. I want to hear what’s up for you. This is a 2-way communication channel.
You should know that I think about my community A LOT. I see you all in my visualizations. I hear your voices about what you dream about. And what your biggest challenges are.
So I’m telling you now you’ll be hearing from me. I used to worry about some people not liking if I emailed them too much or not on a “every Tuesday” schedule. I used to worry about unsubscribes. I don’t anymore.
If you want to be here, you’ll stay. And if you don’t want to receive emails from me, you can unsubscribe at anytime (the link is at the bottom of every email I send). I love having you here, but only if you want to be here of course!
About our awesome offerings …
We open applications for our coach certification school 2 times per year. Get Gutsy Coach Training School is THE program for spiritual coaches committed to making a difference and a great living. Our students tend to fall into 2 camps — those who want to train to become a coach; and newer coaches who want to take their craft and business to another level with my help. You can hop on the waitlist here in between enrollment periods and we’ll let you know once applications are available.
For those of you who are clear about your spirit-led mission and ready to grow a high-vibe, high-touch and high-end business, my mastermind GLOW is where it’s at. GLOW stands for Gutsy Leaders of Wisdom and it’s hot, hot, hot. GLOW mastermind clients are leading movements and consistently putting their transformational work out there. We open applications 2 times per year and head to exotic retreat destinations together for deeply transformational work. You can hop on the waitlist here in between enrollment periods.
My 4-week course the Tribe Building Bootcamp helps you reach more people with your awesome work. It’s a great first taste of my work. We are setting up this course so that it will always be available for purchase (called an “evergreen” offering). Will share that with you soon.
I’m often brewing up other powerful offerings (a mix of paid and free) as I vibe on what my market needs. You’ll be the first to know.
Want more right now?
You can find lots of support on my blog.
I’m also active on Facebook and Instagram so hook up with me there.
Important moments on my journey …
- I went to Space Camp the summer before 7th grade. It was amazing. No, I didn’t accidentally go to space during our mock mission (did you see the movie SPACE CAMP too?!), but I did campaign to be named commander of the mission (and got picked). This instilled a deep discipline to have a responsibility to my mission.
- My sister’s death has shaped me the most. I write about this extensively in my book Get Gutsy and talk about what I learned on my interview on The Unmistakable Creative podcast. I feel Julie every day. I hear her and I see her in various signs that show up in my life. Julie teaches me the true meaning of faith.
- When I was 22 years old, I drove a UHaul from Florida to New York City (did most of the journey solo) to start my public relations career in New York City. I had a couch to stay on at a friend’s apartment as I started my $28,000 / year job.
- I honed my business chops working at fast-paced companies in New York City from 1999 to 2007. I came close to burnout a lot, but credit these experiences with teaching me how to be nimble and courageous. Plus, I worked with A LOT of smart people. And I became a seasoned businesswoman. I worked with some of the biggest brands in the world (Kellogg cereals, M&Ms candies, Hershey chocolate, and Pfizer’s Viagra) during my PR agency days. And had some of the biggest leaders + visionaries of our time (Tony Robbins, Malcolm Gladwell, Colin Powell, Philippe Starck, Ken Blanchard) to speaking on my stage as a conference producer.
- The lobby of my apartment building on the Upper West Side of NYC is where I met the man who would become my husband. We both lived in the building, but I had never seen him until that moment. I knew immediately he was special. Steven and I have been married since 2005!
- Yoga saved my life! It teaches me to let go and let God. I went through a 200-hour yoga teacher training in 2007 that inspired me to quit my last corporate job and walk a new path.
- Training to become a yoga teacher led me to discover the field of coaching. I trained to become a coach in 2008 and haven’t looked back.
- I sold my wedding dress to buy the ticket to my first female entrepreneur conference. The story of who bought it (and how she essentially manifested her dream dress) will blow you away.
- Pregnancy and birth are some of my favorite things in the whole wide world. I LOVED being pregnant and I LOVED giving birth. Showed me what I was made of … and gave me the greatest gifts >> my children! I had a natural birth with Sean. Wanted a homebirth with Luke, but got a C-section instead (breech baby!). And had a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Cesarean) with Kate.
- After drinking A LOT during my teens and 20s, I let go of alcohol in May of 2015. Best move. I wrote and podcasted about my decision here.
- I won a 2016 Silver Stevie Award for Coach of the Year. There was a big bash in New York City where winners from around the world were honored. It was a powerful feeling to have my work as a coach recognized.
- Seeing the world is a HUGE value. Travel is good for the soul. Not only have I traveled extensively in the United States, but I’ve been to MANY other countries including Canada, Mexico, India, England, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, China, Japan, Spain, France, Greece, Sweden, Brazil, Denmark, Russia, Croatia, Estonia, Turkey, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Bermuda (and I’m probably forgetting some). Now I lead retreats in exotic destinations and LOVE this element of where my business has taken me.
- Voy con Dios. I saw this phrase on a bumper sticker while leading a retreat in Tulum, Mexico. It means Go with God. I feel it in my bones. I have developed a beautiful relationship with my Higher Power. It has been an evolution and I’m so grateful knowing that I don’t walk alone.
Here’s some feedback from some of my clients so you an get a feel for what others say about me who have worked with me closely.
“Working with Jenny has been an enlightening adventure. She is knowledgeable, supportive, organized, fun and caring. She provides the right amount of support and wisdom to help you realize what your true calling is and then helps you map out the journey to get there successfully. Jenny leads from a place of integrity and trust. I am confident when I say working with her has pushed my business dreams to a whole new level.” – Kimberly Ferrara, Founder of Kim Ferrara’s Inclusive Fitness Coaching, BeHumanU.com
“Working with Jenny has been key to my personal growth over the last few years. I have been able to manifest so many of my dreams, both personally and professionally. I could not ask for a more caring and smart coach on my life journey.” – Tracy Imm, Coach + Strategist, TracyImm.com
“Working with Jenny has been uplifting, open and supportive. She allowed space to grieve and heal. Jenny created environments of inspiration and guidance. Her openness to allowing what is and what will be has made me believe in myself and my journey. For this, I am so very grateful.” – Lori Paul, PowerUp2Health.com
I consider all who join this community GUTSY LEADERS OF WISDOM.
You are the leader you’ve been waiting for. When you say YES to bringing your gifts and expertise to the world and creating a sacred container for your business to thrive … and doing it in a way that supports your family, soul and truth, you’re GOLDEN.
Consider me your trusty guide on your journey, lighting the way for a fellow lightworker, entrepreneur and world-changer. I’ll lovingly, yet firmly, call you on your shit. I’ll invite you to take action. I’ll support you as you expand. And celebrate you every step of the way.
The world needs you more now than ever. Thanks for being here. To the journey ahead …